Return to Ad-Hoc Forum Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: dank
Date/Time: Mon, July 3, 2000 at 7:44 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V4.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Phone numbers have had there day in the sun, let it go

Greetings,

I agree with jefsey, but don't really think DNIC's are ideal, but there thinking is closer to the requirements for the future, certainly.

When H.323 teleconferencing on broadband starts to be a serious service; (as it surely will), I think synchronizing it to PSTN phone heirarchies would be a liability. A recommendation might flow along these lines to find a recepient in the new name space:

where a person is known to be associated with a server; (ex.)

http://www.stanford.edu

then a ldap server is presumed to exist at

dir.stanford.edu

and via HTTP and or LDAP base protocols presents named persons for messaging.

One mapping lives at:
http://dir.stanford.edu
which is a human readable directory.

The same applies for mapping SNMP addresses to servers for (I hate this term) "cable telephony". If the email ws known to be jane@winterland.no then a source of a WWW directory would be

http://dir.winterland.no
or
ldap://dir.winterland.no

note that since an email address is unique, there lookup is trivial; Though it is contentious how deeper domains might map this.

Internet to telephone gateways are nessessary evils and the telco's will always encomber phone numbers them with intellectual property rights; (like yellow page issues). Doesn't matter how many alleged watchdog agencies, non-profit corps, etc that are interposed. The other problems include, is for instance a "dialed" number is a NANP number (202) 345-6060 and it is mapped to a trivial secondary identity; ex. {2023456060} how does the telecom switch decide whether to route the last in organization part? By phone or through packet resources usually interfaced to a computer?

Worse, services like call redirection, multi-user chats, etc have been traditionally required  hardware (like answering machines), or are fee generating services. In the new heirarchy, costs should be driven to zero and replaced with ownership. The DNS achieves this and building on it makes sense.

Finding persons in a completely anonymous mode anywhere over a lifetime; (who want to be found), I think is a slightly different problem. Even if the world starts with a LDAP slightly geographic system, if all user/systems select a random very large number and associate it with themseleves on the initial public servers, once a global roaming method is on the planning horizon simple robots can walk the DNS and do whatever is required. Security issues as usual are the most vexing. However, you perhaps can make the assumption first contacts can be unverified, and PGP or some other crypto is the second high certainty step.

I hope I''m not rambling, I hope I am thinking out loud.

Dan Kolis

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy