Return to Ad-Hoc Forum Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Aetius
Date/Time: Fri, August 11, 2000 at 11:15 AM GMT (Fri, August 11, 2000 at 6:15 AM EST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Re: IP solution for Dial-Up Users

>I think there should be a different kind of addressing for dial-up users. It should be a static address that >points users temporary IP when he/she logs on. This can solve many problems.

If I understand correctly, this idea is similar to dynamic DNS, with the addition of uniquely identifying the user or computer that dials up.  There are many problems that this would create, without solving anything that I can see.  Why does a dial-up user need to to have a static address?  They already have an email address that is relatively static.  If they want people to be able to access their machine (over a analog line?) they can utilize a dynamic DNS service which updates their domain name to their IP when they log on.

I think that uniquely identifying a dial-up user would merely provide a much easier way for people to be tracked and identified on-line.  Communication solutions already exist -- there is no need to make the spammer's job easier.  And what about people who have multiple computers logged in at the same time, or multiple computers behind a dial-up line on an ipmasq server?  How would they be identified?  How would you handle multi-link ppp users with two, three, or five lines dialed up?  The overhead would be incredible, to maintain a dynamic system for the millions of dial-up users.  And remember that computer networks do not like things being addressed exactly the same -- tends to cause all kinds of neat (and ulcer-inducing) things to happen.

Maybe I'm just being a bit of a curmudgeon -- what are the many problems that this would solve?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy