Return to Ad-Hoc Forum Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WLBrown
Date/Time: Fri, September 1, 2000 at 11:27 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Ominous Letter from Tom Lowenhaupt

In reply to his spam mail...

Dear [Mr. Lowenhaupt] Sir:

Your bid for tighter governance controls over the Internet is reminiscent of the story of "The Little Red Hen".  If I recall this children's story correctly, it seems that she began by asking her barnyard friends, "Who will help me plant the wheat?" 

"Not I," said the pig... "I'm busy," said the cow... etc.  This little red hen must have been one hell of a project manager, as she kept asking for help all through the development cycle of her initiative.  "Who will help me harvest, grind, bake..." and so on.  With little or no help, she persevered, until finally the barnyard was filled with the aroma of freshly baked bread.

Then, of course, her friends all wondered how it could be possible that the hen did not ask, "Who will help me eat the bread?"  What nerve, how selfish!  Why, I'll bet some of the hen's peers moo'd instead of clucked, and therefore could not understand her constant requests for help with her labors.  Unless they were blind, though, they should have noticed her efforts.  Perhaps they sought to plead ignorance of what it takes to make bread, and thinking themselves entitled to the sudden appearance of her work product, began to form governance committees.

Oh yes, I can just picture the level of activity picking up at the farm as committees formed, elections were held, and leaders emerged, all to devise "fair" policy on how the bread should be distributed.

You say you have "worked for the past 8 years to make the Internet's benefits available to families and local communities," but the fact that the Internet was not built for families seems to be lost on you.  In fact, the single most important factor responsible for the Internet's unprecedented growth is that no-one owns the Internet, or may lay claim to its governance.  The fact that the Internet is actually comprised of thousands of non-geographic local communities may not be obvious to someone who understands not what cyberspace is all about.

I submit that the Internet is not for children, families, or governance by self appointed late comers and know-nots.  If an Internet for children is desirable, and I wouldn't argue that, then build one.  It is technologically feasible to create a separate virtual network that is family friendly, and governed by responsible politicians such as yourself.  It can be done using the same wire that today's Internet lives on, thanks to the wonderful technology of packet switching, which I think was invented by Al Gore.  Oh, wait a minute, it's already here; it's called AOL.  Why don't you go run for office there?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy