Return to agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: A member of the Public
Date/Time: Wed, November 24, 1999 at 11:11 PM GMT (Wed, November 24, 1999 at 4:11 PM PDT)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.51 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Privacy: WHOIS database

After reading your material, I find most of agreements to be satisfactorily implemented. Nevertheless, there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Domain name registration is not just for businesses anymore. With the advent of lower registration fees and lower web-host costs, many individuals are registering domains for their personal use.

I can fully understand the need for WHOIS database information to remain available for the public. Yet, the scope of that information should be limited to protect personal security. I strongly object to having my entire street address available to the public. This information is not necessary for the public good. Credit card information is not made public for good reason! I say that a person's street address should remain confidential as well. The information would still be available at INTERNIC should appropriate authorities need to access it.

Businesses like to advertise their location. Afterall, this is good business sense. Private individuals should be given the opportunity to restrict their public information. At this time, individual entities are not given this right. Let us not wait until a tragedy occurs because some nut doesn't like a person's web site and uses WHOIS database information to do harm. Think about it.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy