Return to cost-recovery Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Thu, March 1, 2001 at 3:46 AM GMT (Wed, February 28, 2001 at 11:46 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: How about cutting expenses?

I agree that the variable is punitive.  However, there is, IMO, a wider aspect as well.  There are many ccTLDs that have miniscule budgets, especially developing countries.  What should they have to pay for maintenance of 3 lines of code?

I also feel that the actual cost of maintaining the root is not terribly expensive overall and that ICANN could begin by streamlining its bloated organizational chart. 

Until they have acted responsibly, elected a proper board and gained the confidence of the net's users, I would hesitate to want to fund them.  A half a million dollars in legal fees for a quarter is outrageous and would not be necessary if ICANN was acting as it should.

Cost recovery is a nice term.  However, in this case, it's a nice way to fill the pockets of people who are being overpaid and an organization that is growing faster than the US government.  Why should the world pay for it and be ruled by it with little or no voice in its decision making?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy