Return to cost-recovery Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: joerinehart
Date/Time: Tue, April 17, 2001 at 2:22 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.76 using XWindows/FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
Score: 5
Subject: Enforce the expired domain rules!

It often seems to be that expired domains from NSI are available for BID of a minimum of $300 from their whois lookup when they should be available for registration!

There is a particular domain that I want to use very badly which had expired in Oct. 2000 (6 months ago) at the same time the .org version previously leased by the same people. The .org became available recently, which I promptly registered, but the .com continues to not be available.

It seems to me that a domain should be available for re-registration by a new party after an established period of it's official expiration date. To allow a registar to extort revenue by making it available though a bidding service, is downright unfair and unethical!

This expiration topic was not an issue when NSI was the only registar, but sadly, it seems Network Solutions is the only register who seems to be able to get away with it now.

I'm so perturbed over this issue that I intend to transfer any domain that I manage from NSI/Internic/Network Solutions/or whatever they call themselves these days ASAP.

Are there any rules regarding this expired domain topic? If so, where may I find them and how is it enforced?

Maybe John Postel really had a thought when he suggested that the U.S. Postal service control the .us domains... I vote, not that it may matter, to consider having the U.S. Postal service manage the entire domain structure. Maybe then, the management will turn over these domain for the revenue they should be raising!

Best 'net regards,
Joe

Joe Rinehart, Network Administrator
Config.Com, Inc. 124 North Chestnut Street, Ravenna, Ohio 44266
http://www.config.com/ mailto:joe@config.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy