Return to election Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Alexander Svensson
Date/Time: Mon, July 3, 2000 at 8:33 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V4.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Reasons for geographical regions

A smaller electorate is more prone to being co-opted by a fairly small percentage of its voters -- yes. But to me, that seems to be a reason for trying to enlarge the electorate. You are asking "why are we electing people on a geographical basis?" If you have had a look around the ICANN website -- have you found a /single/ page in any language except English? If we want the Internet to become a global medium, we have to take in account users from areas where the Internet still is underdeveloped. I don't think you should worry about North American interests not being take into account, and I don't see why groups of IP addresses or ISPs make sensible electorates.

"Representation by Internet space, not Real World space":
So if you can afford to be a member of 100 ISPs, you have 100 votes? The idea behind snail-mailing the PINs is to make it *more difficult* (not impossible) to vote several times. In any large election it is impossible to guarantee 100% flawless voting. I don't know how ICANN will deal with mailboxes, but even so: It takes a lot more energy to set up enough mailboxes all across Venezuela to manipulate the vote of the Latin American/Caribbean region than it takes to set up mail accounts. And it will become more difficult the more members join ICANN At Large.

I don't think the ICANN board members elected by the At Large members would gain any legitimacy if any Avatar could vote for them. You can of course group countries by language, GDP, Internet users etc., but I think such coalitions will emerge in any case: If ICANN suggested an expensive modification of the DNS, poorer countries would protest. If ICANN decided to make English the only UDRP language, non-English users would protest.

In addition, here's what the 1998 DoC White Paper says:
"Management structures should reflect the functional and geographic diversity of the Internet and its users. Mechanisms should be established to ensure international participation in decision making."
This was also due to international protests that the DoC Green Paper did not adequately ensure global representation.

Link: icannchannel.de

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy