Return to election Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: publius
Date/Time: Fri, July 7, 2000 at 11:02 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Regional voting concerns and nomination suggestions...

First I would like to thank the committee for helping legitimize "self-nominated" candidates by a changing their name to "member nominations".  This is a small point, but an important one if the committee wants to encourage members of the general public to participate in the process as members of the committee. 

Along these same lines, I would encourage the committee to eliminate the 10% requirement [i.e. Recommendation 5] down to something more in line with standard ballot measures, (e.g. 0.1% of the electorate), due to the exceeding difficulty a previously unknown candidate would have acquiring the requisite nominations.  (Even this lower target can be quite a burden in a large electorate, as any petition worker for an issue campaign could tell you). 

Indeed, considering that the candidate's proposed profile page will be the voter's primary source of information on the candidate's qualifications, I do not see how a newcomer with even the most compelling of ideas would catch the voters' consideration without becoming a candidate first.  By raising the bar to qualify as a candidate, the committee invites an unintended, if not dangerous consequence: namely encouraging if not forcing newcomers to implement traditional electioneering techniques in order to gain the requisite supportive nominations for candidacy.  These techniques in turn would require large sums of money and therefore, much like the current system in the United States, invite the appearence of corruption if not corruption itself.  I am sure that ICANN would seek to avoid such a result. 

Rather, why not set a minimum bar of 20 - 200 nominations based upon a 0.1% rule and let the voters weed out the chafe.  Otherwise, what is to distinguish ICANN's process from the same sort of ballot manipulations which the two major political parties of the U.S. use to eliminate third party candidates?

Regarding Recommendation 1:
   It seems this recommendation is in part due to the fear that regional interests will be trumped by one region's ability to exersize it's will via majority rule.  With all due respect to the committee, this is not a new problem, and is of course the original reason that the bicameral legistlature was adopted in the U.S. system.  [The House of Representatives was based upon population, while the senate was elected by each state legistlature to represent each region on an equal basis, thereby protecting Rhode Island from the hedgemony of a large state like Virginia.]

What the committee is proposing is to create a senate without regard to the interests of the majority.  Shouldn't those who express the most interest in the process be rewarded for their interest?  I can only agree with the CC/CDT's assessment of the current recommendation that it is unfair that the United States and Europe should receive a minority of the At-Large seats when they are 4/5's of all current Internet users.  This seems akin to affirmative action for elective representation, despite the fact that any internet user over 16 is free to register and vote.  If, on the other hand, we have a bicameral system, then no one will be able to push anyone around without due process.

Respectfully,
Publius

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy