Return to geo Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: LazarusLong
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 11:54 AM GMT (Sun, July 9, 2000 at 2:54 PM EEST)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: The Middle East

"Should the Middle East be grouped with Africa, or with Asia/Australia/Pacific? For IP address allocation purposes, the Middle East countries are currently served by the same regional Internet registry as North Africa (RIPE NCC)."

Sounds tricky, eh? Well, add Europe to the list as well. Where do Turkey and my home country, Israel belong to? For most non-net-related intents and purposes (Economy, Sports, Standard of living, etc.) they are part of Europe, not Africa, Asia and most certainly not the Pacific region. As noted in the article, they are served by RIPE NCC, which along with North Africa also serves Europe. Moreover, grouping those countries with Africa will most certainly hurt the chances of a genuine African being elected.

I suggest `conflicting` countries should be given the chance to select the region they belong to, from *ALL* possible regions, by a preliminary vote sometime around late August, if that is possible for ICANN to do. If not - well, I'm out of ideas.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy