[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: [dnsproc-en] Re: Suggestions for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- To: "Higgs, Simon" <SHiggs@whq.dcmdw.dla.mil>, Christopher Ambler <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Brian E Carpenter <email@example.com>
- Subject: RE: [dnsproc-en] Re: Suggestions for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- From: Joseph Friedman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:23:47 -0500
- Cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, DOMAIN-POLICY@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ira_C._Magaziner@oa.eop.gov, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Charles.Pickering@mail.house.gov, Richard.Russell@mail.house.gov, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, APNIC-TALK@apnic.net, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Gil.Gutknecht@mail.house.gov, email@example.com, Tom.Davis@mail.house.gov, Rep.Morella@mail.house.gov, Jim.Wilson@mail.house.gov, firstname.lastname@example.org, John Wood <email@example.com>, Barbara Dooley <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-Reply-To: <43F8F546499ED111B4AA00805FA7E01A23D122@hq068086013.dcmdw.dla.mil>
At 02:49 PM 11/11/98 -0600, Higgs, Simon wrote:
>> From: Joseph Friedman [email@example.com]
>> At 09:20 AM 11/11/98 -0800, Christopher Ambler wrote:
>> >>> Add as many new gTLDs as possible.
>> >>The technical opinion that the IAB reached a long while back is that
>> >>adding hundreds of TLDs is technically safe, but that adding
>> >>thousands would take us into unknown territory in terms of
>> >>operational scale, and should be avoided in the foreseeable future.
>> >The irony being that there are only a handful of companies that want
>> >to be registries, representing, at most, 30 TLDs.
>> But there are MANY generic terms that many people want to use
>> as a TLD.
>The list of TLD applications to IANA was posted to the iahc-discuss list
>by Jon Postel. There were about 150 TLD applications by about 35
>companies (the proposal at the time was for each company to serve 3 TLDs
>Please show us the documentation for the "thousands" of "generic terms"
>that have been submitted as TLD applications.
My point was that registrants want to use Many different generic terms.