new TLDs

Hi,

I tried to 'pre-register' a new domain with a .WEB TLD, and some of the
companies offering this service reported that my desired domain was
available, but one said it was taken.  I did not pre-register the name at all.

Is there any way I can reserve a name?  I have no interest in handing over
money, if it won't help me.

Also, I would really like my company name as a domain, followed simply by .US
I know that's not currently an option, but I want to be first in line if it
ever becomes available.  How can keep a close eye on the domain?  What web
page should I monitor, or perhaps a mailing list?

Thanks!

- Mike Gelman