Domain naming conventions

Looking ahead into the future there lies a definite possibility
that the world will run out of domain names.
When 83% of teens in the us have already been on the internet
whether at school or at home, it's apparent that a technology
hungry generation is on its way.
For this reason I propose that we (as an internet community)
develop a certain naming or addressing convention for
domain names and email addresses.

Eventually it should become a possibility that all physical
postal mail services can be eliminated except as a novelty.
If every person in a neighborhood of 1 million people had an email
address, or a domain name to host web pages, the store of
available names would diminish rapidly.
However, if each person in that community were designated
a specific email address and/or domain name for their personal use,
the distribution and management of addresses should flow more
easily and better regulated.  The system for locating addresses already
exists and is in constant use by our postal system.
For instance, given an address:
	John Smith
	4040 Pine Street
	MyTown, MI 44444

Since road, street, avenue and other types of areas already have
abbreviations, and postal services really only need the
zip code to determine the town and state the domain name
for this person could be:

	4040.pine_st.44444

the email address of this person could be designated as:
	johnsmith@4040.pine_st.44444

any web pages could be hosted at:
	http://4040.pine_st.44444/~johnsmith

and any other residents of the same house could be at:

	http://4040.pine_st.44444/~suzysmith
	http://4040.pine_st.44444/~stephensmith

One possible drawback might be that people may not wish to use
their real name for fear that someone might see it and use it,
but their names and addresses are already being used for
the distribution of postal mail.

Another drawback might be that if someone were to move,
they would lose that domain name.  However, as with postal mail
there are options for change of address and forwarding email.

These services could be offered and configured by a company
or business with the capital to do so, and eventually this
service could largely do away with person to person physical mail.

The store of names for companies has diminished greatly as well.
Smart investors already buy popular domain names and then offer
them out to the highest bidder for tens of thousands of dollars.
I believe this should be regulated to resemble the current
guidelines for registering businesses with the US government.

A company that owns a nationally registered business name,
say PEPSICO, could purchase pepsico.com, and expand within limits
upon that name.  Valid names could be search.pepsico.com,
register.pepsico.com, etc., but the company would be restricted
against purchasing a competitors name like cocacola.com
and putting up a web page saying "Drink Pepsi".

If a business were only owned within a state or county,
when the business name was looked up, the domain name services
could return all businesses under that category.
For instance, Joe's garage in kentucky would have the address
joesgarage.kt.com
and Joe's garage in tennessee would have the address
joesgarage.tn.com
but so that both businesses could be found via joesgarage.com,
both of these businesses could be listed similar to a directory
listing when joesgarage.com was requested.

Obviously these rules may have to be modified somewhat
in order to compensate for international compatibility.
i.e. the previous address 4040.pine_st.44444 might
have to be modified to 4040.pine_st.44444.us in order
for all countries to take advantage of that naming scheme.

Overall the addressing scheme may seem simple, but I believe the idea
and the basic specifications have enormous potential.  The availability
of domain names for everyone in the united states is a viable future option.
Although it would push the bandwidth to its limits, the push of technology
inspires developing communities to create innovative solutions for high
pressure situations.

Feel free to email back to me if you want to discuss
this subject at all.  I'm more than willing to bounce ideas
back and forth about this topic.

-Dave