Re: [ifwp] Re: Questions about Ira's deadline

Jim,

At 11:41 PM 9/13/98 +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
>I have to disagree.  The meeting in Boston on 19 September was
>planned as an IFWP meeting and people are going there to attend
>an IFWP meeting.  It is too late for this to be an IFWP wrap-up

It isn't an IFWP meeting.  The IFWP cancelled it's meeting.  There's
nothing wrong with having a meeting, of course, but you do not serve any
positive interest by mis-labeling it.

Is there something about the official announcement from the IFWP that
wasn't clear?

Perhaps the idea is that the IFWP SC can call a meeting, but can't call it
off?

>> To summarize, many of the largest IFWP organizations
>> (i.e. NSI, CIX, AIM, Educause) have abandoned IFWP to
>> negotiate directly with the IANA.  Whether this was by
>> choice (CIX) or necessity (NSI) is beside the point.
>
>This is over the top.  NSI has agreed to come to a wrap-up

"Abandoned the IFWP" is an overly strong statement, true.  However, it IS
true that they bailed from the "wrap up meeting" that was scheduled.  It is
also true that IANA and NSI are talking privately.

As to various statements about willingness to participate in a final wrap
up meeting at some, unscheduled time in the future... so?

At 08:30 PM 9/13/98 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>I agree with your earlier message. It seems to me that CIX et al abandoned
IFWP
>when it appeared to be convenient for them to do so.

This is a your considered, professional opinion?

>Now they want to prevent
>some of us from doing something independent on the grounds that it
constitutes

No one is trying to prevent your having any meeting you want.  Some of us
are, however, pointing out that the "process" which has been the IFWP isn't
having it's planned Boston meeting and it is a misrepresentation to label
your own meeting as part of the IFWP.

Have your meeting.  Discuss what you want.  That's fine.  But you serve no
constructive purpose by mis-labeling it.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1(408)246 8253
<mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>                        675 Spruce Drive
                                                  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA
Brandenburg Consulting
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                         Tel: +60(19)3299 445
                                               Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
Fax: +1(408)246 8253                     Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA