Re: Yet another analysis of the NSI/IANA deal

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Richard J. Sexton wrote:

> Comments re the NSI/IANA compromise.
>
> A) THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH "REGISTRARS"
>
> >(ii) The Domain Name Supporting Organization shall be composed of
> representatives from name
> >    registries and registrars of top-level domains ("TLDs"), businesses and
> any entities that are users of the
> >    Internet and any other entities with legitimate interests in these
> issues, as determined by the Domain
> >    Name Supporting Organization consistent with Section 2 of this Article
> and approved by the Board. The
> >    Domain Name Supporting Organization shall create a Names Council to
> make recommendations
> >    regarding TLDs, including operation, assignment and management of the
> domain name system and other
> >    related subjects; and
>
> 1) There does not seem to be a working definition for a "registrar". In the
> degenerate
> case, any individual that ever registered a domain for another individual is
> a registrar.
> There is no technical, legal or financial barrier to entry; in theory
> everybody on the
> Internet can be a "registrar". Arguably, evry ISP on the planet already is.
>
> 2) Registries are a necessity. They provide a unique and mandatory technical
> function. Registrars, on the other hand are a service function; there is no
> technical requirement for them. It's similar to a car dealership that may
> license the car for a purchaser as a matter of convenience, but, anybody
> can go to the license office and register it themselves.

So, because there is no working definition that suits you, you would deny
representation to those that might fall under this classification?

Sorry, that is completely unacceptable.

The company that I work for has built a successful business with domain
name registration and providing DNS services at its' center. We are not a
registry, and have no interest of being one at this time. We do however
stand to be deeply affected by any changes that the new organization might
make. Given this fact, domain name "registrars" as a category have an
absolute right to be represented in this organization.

> 3) the organization is subject to capture by a large group of registrars. A
> registry may "proclaim" any number of registrars; currently there are
> 230 or so TLD registries in the legacy root. If they "created" say 5000
> registrars the voice of registries is obliterated; this organization is
> subject to capture.

The same could be said about registries. Anyone with a PC could set up
shop claiming to be a "registry."

Both need to be defined. Both need to be represented.

> SUGGESTION: remove "registrars" from this section of the by-laws.

I don't think that would be a very good idea.

Patrick Greenwell				         (800) 299-1288 v
			   Systems Administrator	 (925) 377-1212 v
	                         NameSecure		 (925) 377-1414 f
Coming to the ISPF?     The Forum for ISPs by ISPs       http://www.ispf.com