Re: [ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Dave Crocker wrote:

> >> However the DNS topic is only one of a range of issues and the fact that
> >> this particular issue isn't resolved yet is tough to blame solely on IANA.
> >
> >This isn't a matter of blame.  It's a matter of success or failure.
>
> Actually, Jim, your style of commentary about IANA is very MUCH a matter of
> blame.  Crediting a particular organization for a failure is to blame it
> for the failure.  That's why it was necessary to point out to you the
> relevant contributions by U.S. government agencies to the current predicament.

IANA has responsibility for these matters.  The scorecard looks pretty
good on the technical side, lousy on dealing with the outside world.

> >The fact is that IANA as it is presently constituted has not coped
> >well with the DNS mess.  We need what the White Paper has called for:
> >an infusion of the expertise that IANA lacks and the legitimacy that
> >comes from a broad and diverse membership.
>
> IANA is not in a position to compensate for massive and repeated errors by
> the U.S. government, no.  That is hardly a "failing" of IANA.

ISPA UK and EuroISPA are trade associations created by the Internet
industry in the UK and Europe respectively.  Our principle objectives
include dealing with government on regulatory matters.  This includes
a large educational role: when governments are about to do something
ill-advised, we ask for meetings and present the Internet industry's
advice on the matter.  That advice is most often accepted.  In fact
generally speaking we are invited in during the consultation phase.

We cannot blame any failings in this representational role on government.
We don't.  If things don't go our way, we accept that we have failed and
try harder the next time.  We certainly do not set ourselves up in
opposition to government.

> Some folks would be unhappy, but that's hardly unusual.  What those
> unhappy, but vocal, folks don't like to acknowledge is just how comfortable
> the massive percentage of the Internet community would have been with the
> changes that were already underway.  No, better to jump and shout about
> IANA incompetence.  Makes better news copy.

No one is jumping and shouting about IANA's incompetence.  What we are
saying is "there's a problem, let's fix it."

IANA lacks certain skills.  What is productive is to recognize the problem
and then bring those skills in at the right level.

> >The point really is that in an effort to solve the gTLD problem, IANA
> >created and blessed a movement which embraced confrontational politics,
> >a MOUvement whose spokesmen relished conflict and divided the world into
>
> Jim, it's a shame you haven't considered the record very carefully.  Those
> of us who have indulged in confrontation only started doing that after
> being worn down by sustained misrepresentation and personal attacks.  I'm
> sure you don't see it that way, but then that's part of the problem.

Dave, I don't want to spend a long time on this.  I got involved in this
process on your side.  The confrontational style drove me away.

There are lots of us who had the same thing happen to them.

> >two camps.  Those who supported the gTLD MOU were praised; those who
> >opposed it were subjected to vilification and relentless public, personal
> >attacks.  This is a major cause of the DNS wars.
>
> And, of course, you couldn't be more wrong.  The DNS wars were caused by
> greed and avarice from those fearing they will be locked out of power or
> profits.

You had a choice.  You could have brought your opponents into the process,
you could have been conciliatory, or you could vilify them.  Your choice
then, like your choice now, was not conciliation.

You have the same choice today.

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316