Subject: CORE Supports draft-5 from IANA

From: "Hal Lubsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:27:49 -0400

The Executive Committee of the Council of Internet Registrars (CORE)
wishes to convey unanimous support for the fifth iteration of the
draft bylaws prepared by IANA to create the new organization (ICANN)
responsible for administration of the Domain Name System.

Although there are issues yet unresolved in this fifth draft, such as
the creation of addition top level domains, registry definitions and
registrar qualifications, we believe that ICANN, the organization
detailed in the fifth draft, can immediately be implemented and begin
a rapid transition to self-governance, competition and expansion of
the Internet for the benefit of users everywhere.  Any continued delay
in the implementation of ICANN will only serve the narrowest of
interests.

CORE has long supported creation of a new system of Internet
governance designed to provide open administration, consumer choice
and growth.  The new IANA plan is an excellent starting point for a
new era of competition and self-governance of the Internet as mandated
in the recent “White Paper”.  CORE fully supports the new IANA
proposal as a product of global consensus.

We are confident that the new entity would provide flexibility for
continued growth and change, is founded on firm legal and fiduciary
ground, and ensures the continued stability of the Internet.  The
organization detailed in the fifth draft will also establish a fair
and open competitive business environment, and ends the monopoly in
generic domain name registries.

The Executive Committee of the Council of Internet Registrars (CORE):