Subject: [Fwd: IAB Statement on New IANA]
From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
To: IAB <[email-masked]>
Cc: IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 17:18:06 +0100

[Note: the draft of this statement was approved by acclamation
at the IETF plenary meeting attended by approximately 1000 people
on August 26, 1998. It was subsequently approved by a one-week
electronic mail "last call" to the IETF, which generated more than
80% favorable comments.] 

IAB statement on New IANA

In June 1998, the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) reviewed 
the US Government White Paper at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/6_5_98dns.htm
and welcomed it, especially the emphasis on self-administration
for the Internet. In particular, the IAB believed then and 
believes now that for stability of operation, the technical work 
of the new corporation must be initially built out from the existing 
IANA technical team hosted by the Information Sciences Institute of the 
University of Southern California under the direction of Jon Postel.

This week the IAB has considered the draft by-laws of the new
IANA corporation as most recently revised and posted at 
http://www.iana.org . While the IETF recognizes deficiencies in 
the present draft and wishes that they be remedied, the IAB and 
the IETF endorse the draft as the basis for the final by laws, 
on the basis that:

1. The IETF will be the "Protocol Supporting Organization"
for the new IANA. 

2. The IAB, consulting with the IESG, will be the "Protocol Council" 
for the new IANA.

3. The regular IETF nominations process will be modified to 
incorporate the appointment of the three corresponding IANA Board 
Members.

The IAB is an oversight committee of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), whose charter published as RFC 1601 includes the
desgnation of the IANA. For further details, please see the Web sites
http://www.iab.org/iab and http://www.ietf.org

  Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)                September 4, 1998
  in agreement with Fred Baker (IETF Chair)