Subject: EC-PoP statement on new IANA organization

Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 17:20:22 +0200

Jon et al.

Below you find the statement from the European Commission Panel of
particpants on the new IANA organization. We hope this statement
helps to achive consensus on this.

Erik
=================================

On July 7th 1998 the European Commission (EC) called for a European
consultative meeting as preparation for the IFWP meetings, the
results of this meeting can be found at:
http://www.ispo.cec.be/eif/dns/conclusions.html
 
One of the results from that meeting was the establishment of an EC
Panel of Participants (PoP), a European group of stakeholder
representatives, to discussed a common position in the IFWP process
and to advise the EC.
 
The EC PoP has come to consensus on the following:
 
At this point in time the EC PoP endorses:
- the IANA (Jon Postel) proposals as the basis for the new IANA, 
- the current IANA as the nucleus of the new IANA,
- the current IANA draft bylaws as the basis for the final bylaws, 
  and
- that the current IANA takes the lead in process of editing the 
  draft bylaws
 
provided that the new IANA is explicitly mandated to continue
consensus making processes and that it can evolve to take account
of such additional consensus as may over time emerge.  

The EC-PoP strongly supports an international diversity of the
board. The EC-PoP is concerned that in the current (third) version
of the bylaws it is theoretically possible that more than half of
the total board members come from one geographical region.  The
EC-PoP asks the IANA to seek solutions for this problem.
 
The EC PoP and/or its individual members may contribute further
suggestions for additions or changes when appropriate at future
points in time.
 
The EC PoP expects the transition to the new IANA organization to
take place through an initial/interim organisation with all
existing structures placed under its authority, so as to ensure the
continued stable operation of the Internet. This initial/interim
organization will require a board of directors for which the EC PoP
will suggest some appropriate European candidates as soon as
possibble.
 
====================