Subject: RIPE NCC Statement on New IANA

From: Daniel Karrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:16:29 +0200

RIPE NCC statement on New IANA

In June 1998, the RIPE NCC Executive Board reviewed the US Government
White Paper at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/6_5_98dns.htm
and welcomed it, especially the emphasis on self-administration for the
Internet.  In particular, the RIPE NCC believed then and believes now
that for stability of operation, the technical work of the new IANA
corporation must be initially built out from the existing IANA technical
team hosted by the Information Sciences Institute of the University of
Southern California under the direction of Jon Postel. 

The RIPE NCC has considered the draft bylaws of the new IANA
corporation as most recently revised and posted at
http://www.iana.org/bylaws3.html.  While we recognize deficiencies in
the present draft and wish that they be remedied, the RIPE NCC endorses
the draft as the basis for the final bylaws and encourages all parties
to continue discussions to achieve consensus on such a final version.

The RIPE NCC repeats its earlier commitments to provide its fair share
of the operational costs of the new IANA.  As a first step the RIPE NCC
provides US$25,000 to the University of Southern California to help
cover costs associated with the establishment of the new IANA and as an
initial contribution to the operational costs.  These monies have
already been made available in April 1997 when the continuation of IANA
operational funding from the US government for FY98 had not yet been
secured. 

The RIPE NCC commits to work with the existing Regional Registries 
and others to establish the "Address Supporting Organisation" and
have it recognised by the new IANA as soon as practical.