Subject: EDUCAUSE Endorsement of ICANN
From: Mark Luker
To: [email-masked]'

October 5, 1998 

EDUCAUSE Endorsement of the formation of the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) 

EDUCAUSE, an association of more than 1500 American colleges and
universities, strongly endorses the formation of the Internet Corporation
for Assigned Names and Numbers. 
We believe that the legal documents under which ICANN has been
incorporated fulfill the principles and intent of the White Paper issued
by the U.S. Government in May, 1998 and form an effective basis on which
the U.S. Government, the Network Solutions Corporation (a U.S. Government
contractor), the Information Sciences Institute of the University of
Southern California (a U.S. Government contractor), and other interested
parties may transfer and transition to private sector management the core
technical and administrative functions of the Internet set forth in the
White Paper. 
Faculty, researchers, students and staff at EDUCAUSE member institutions
have participated actively in the development of the Internet since its
inception more than twenty-five years ago. Much of the original research
and applied development of Internet technology has been accomplished on
American university campuses. These schools currently own and operate more
than four million directly connected Internet hosts in the .edu domain. As
major Internet stakeholders, our members are committed to the principles
of the White Paper and we will support ICANN's startup and continuing role
in Internet management as fully as possible. 

Brian L. Hawkins, President
Mark Luker, Vice President

Mark Luker, VP EDUCAUSE; Suite 600, 1112 16th St. NW; Wash DC 20036
202-872-4200 x 5351;   202-872-4318 fax;   [email-masked]