Subject: SITA?s Comments on the 5th Version of the new IANA Bylaws

From: "Rosa Delgado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 15:43:12 +0100

Friday, 2 October 1998

Ref: SITA?s Comments on the 5th Version of the new IANA Bylaws (28
September 1998)

Dear Mr. Postel,

SITA very much appreciates the considerable amount of effort made by
IANA and the private sector in the entire drafting process, a
difficult task considering the widely divergent interests of
stakeholders.

SITA supports IANA in proceeding with the immediate incorporation of
the Internet Corporation for the Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
and endorses the Bylaws-Version 5 and its Articles of Incorporation.

SITA considers that the Bylaws-Version 5 are sufficient to begin the
implementation of the new corporation. However, we must echo the
thoughts of many others throughout the world who have stated that
remaining key issues must be given immediate attention by the Board of
Directors, resulting in a modification of the Bylaws-Version 5, as
soon as ICANN is incorporated.

In SITA's view the priority tasks to be addressed by ICANN are: an
equitable international representation on the interim Boards of
Directors of the new corporation and voting proceedings; the addition
of new TLDs, as stated in the Green Paper, and applicability of
international law needs to be recognized, since the new corporation
will operate worldwide.

We believe that these concerns are shared by the global Internet
community of Interand due consideration should be given to them when
implementing the final process.

Yours sincerely,

Rosa Delgado
New Applications Planning Manager - Business Planning
Air Transport Systems Div.
The Societe Internationale de Telecommunications Aeronautique
(SITA)
Phone: (+41.22) 71.00.266
Fax:     (+41. 22) 71.00.151
e-mail: [email-masked]