ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-evaluation]

New gTLD Comments by Alexei Sozonov, Regtime Ltd

  • To: <2gtld-evaluation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: New gTLD Comments by Alexei Sozonov, Regtime Ltd
  • From: "Alexei Sozonov" <sozon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:58:05 -0700

Comments on New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Version 2

Submitted By: Alexei Sozonov, Company: Regtime Ltd.
Company URL: http://www.regtime.net Date: April 8, 2009

2.1.1.4.1 and 2.1.1.4.2 Geopolitical Names:

There is unlimited amount of Geographical names (there is Moscow, Odessa in USA
etc), and countless official or widely understood or short forms.
By applying the rule of  non-objection or support letters from appropriate
authorities we are opening Pandora's box. It might and will lead to complete
mess with unpredictable results. The term of "widely understood forms" itself
create a confusion - "widely understood" by whom and in what language? If ICANN
have no precise definition of the meaning (it's just impossible in this case) -
it's better to avoid it.

We suggest first Guidebook version - with need of local non-objection or
support letters when it comes to country exact names and major cities exact
names, no more.

Respectfully,

Alexei Sozonov

a.sozonov / vp regtime ltd / sozon@xxxxxxxxx / 1.604.7739204