ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-guide]

dotGAL's 2nd draft Applicant Guidebook Comments

  • To: 2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: dotGAL's 2nd draft Applicant Guidebook Comments
  • From: Asociación PuntoGal <prensa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:50:25 +0200

*PuntoGAL’s 2nd Draft Applicant Guidebook Comments*

DotGAL (PuntoGAL in the Galician language) is the proposed string for a new
cultural and linguistic TLD for the Galician Cultural and Linguistic
Community.  Such TLDs are not geographic, but   represent communities which
share a common language and culture. In the case of DotGal, this community
has approximately 4 million speakers spread around the world.
Cultural and linguistic communities merit a domain of their own in order to
create greater diversity and contribute to a more democratic and
multicultural Internet, which is one of ICANN’s aims.

We thank ICANN once more for all the work and effort put into developing
this 2nd draft. We especially appreciate the detailed analysis of the
comments to the 1st draft Applicant Guidebook, which proves that ICANN
really intends to develop a democratic process by analysing and considering
the feedback received so far.
We’re also pleased to see that one of our petitions was added to this new
draft, lowering the annual fees to a minimum of 25.000 USD, also requested
by many other communities, individuals and entities.

Despite the progress on the new draft, we still believe there are a few
aspects of the draft applicant guidebook that ICANN should reconsider.

1.    TIMELINE
As we already stated in the public forum in the last ICANN’s International
Meeting in Mexico, PuntoGal Association, a non-profit organization,  has
invested a lot of time, money and human resources in the initiative since
it’s creation in 2006.
Extending the process any longer will be detrimental for all  non-profit
initiatives, particularly those representing small communities, and will be
harmful for longstanding applicants with limited  resources.
Many  individuals and entities belonging to the widespread Galician cultural
and linguistic community are waiting for the .GAL. We have given them the
time lines that  ICANN provided in several International Public Meetings
(Los Angeles, Paris, Cairo), only to find that these have been repeatedly
postponed.
What we wou*ld like is to give a once and for all answer to that recurring
question from our community “WHEN will we have a dotGAL?”

We urge ICANN to confirm a definitive date for the opening of the process*.

2.    APPLICATION FEE

ICANN has established a 185,000 USD application fee to recover costs
associated with the new gTLD programme. We still think this amount of money
is too high if you take into account that many applications are from
non-commercial, non-profit making organizations. Such  is the case of
cultural and linguistic TLD applicants, which  are economically viable, but
nevertheless may have limited funding.
Considering that we’ve already spent a significant amount of money on
following the process and that our  main purpose is essentially cultural,
 *We ask ICANN to reduce the application fee for cultural and linguistic
TLDs to 50,000 USD*.

--
Asociación PuntoGal
www.puntogal.org