ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-guide]

IP Paranoia

  • To: "2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IP Paranoia
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:32:48 +0100

One of the topics of concern that has been cited on numerous occasions by
people working in the area of intellectual property is that they and their
clients will have to protect their brands in 100s of new TLDs.

While there may be a certain degree of truth in that assertion I personally
believe that it has served as a distraction for many.

If, hypothetically, 200 new TLDs were to launch within the next 36 months, how
many of them would actually be open to all?

How many would have restrictions of some kind?

What is the trademark holders' greatest fear?

Is it a "dreaded" domainer ?

If that is the case then surely the reaction among domainers to the launch of
.tel and the new tlds should be taken into account

In reality, from what I have seen at least, most of the domainers are focussed
almost entirely on .com and ccTLDs (albeit to a lesser extent)

While many brand names may be registered during an initial sunrise / landrush
period a lot of them get dropped shortly after the first renewal cycle.

So should brand managers  / trademark holders worry?

Yes, in as much as they do already, however their fear of a possible
infringement should not cripple what could amount to a second wave for the
internet in many respects.

If someone were to create .phone, for example, it would make sense that Nokia
(for example again) were to register Nokia.phone. It wouldn't make as much
sense for them to register every single phone model that they have. If I was
going to invest in a TLD I'd want to see "buy in" from big brands before I'd
personally spend my hard earned cash on speculation and I suspect that I am not
alone in that view.

Not all new TLDs will prove to be successful. Some will successfully serve
their community, others won't.

Let's not be paralysed with fear, but focus instead on putting fair and
equitable measures in place that balance all stakeholders rights as equally as
possible

regards

Michele (in a semi-personal capacity)

--