ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-guide]

AG :: 2nd draft :: comments from dotEUS

  • To: 2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: AG :: 2nd draft :: comments from dotEUS
  • From: "PuntuEus Elkartea" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:45:30 +0200 (CEST)

The Basque Language and Culture Community [ BLCC ], which is distributed
all over the world, is actively and deeply committed to the development
and evolution of its language and culture. Because of that, the PuntuEus [
dotEus in Euskara ] Association, which represents the [ BLCC ],  will
apply for .EUS TLD [ http://www.doteus.org ].

The .EUS domain will reinforce and extend the multicultural nature of the
Internet, since allowing cultural and linguistic communities to have their
own domain, puts multiculturalism on the very heart of the Internet.
Domains related to language and cultures strengthen and benefit not only
those cultural and linguistic communities but also the Internet itself. In
this sense, we do believe that cultural and linguistic TLDs [ clTLD ] add
value to the Internet as they will make Internet's diversity stronger.

As applicants, this is our first comment on a draft and that is why we
take advantage of this opportunity you give us to express our worries
about the issues raised in the 2nd draft of the Applicant Guidebook. In
this way, we would like to make two brief comments.

TIME LINE

.EUS TLD and, in general, all clTLDs seek to respond to a very specific
need: a symbol for small cultural and linguistic communities. This
characteristic makes essential the correct 'management' of the support and
the enthusiasm generated in our communities. Our communities are waiting.
We told them, more than once, that ICANN was going to open 'the window' in
few months. But they still continue waiting.

For all clTLDs, because of our communities nature, it is essential to have
a real time line, without any more delays. A real time line to manage the
support we have received. A real time line to manage our time, our
strength. We do not have any doubt about our credibility, but our
communities' perception can change. We ask you for a real time line, we do
believe that it is the best for all the agents implied in TLDs processes.

EVALUATION FEE

Depending on the characteristics of the applicant, available economic
resources vary drastically. As other clTLDs, .EUS project has limited
resources. We represent small communities and, thus, the evaluation fee
that is purposed on the first and second drafts, could exceed our
resources [ each delay affects directly on our current economic resources
].

That is why we ask you for establishing a cheaper evaluation fee [ maybe
for all possible applicants, all maybe for only small communities as
clTLDs ].