ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-guide]

ICANN escalation path for acquisition of .hp and IDNs

  • To: <2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN escalation path for acquisition of .hp and IDNs
  • From: ICANN Forwarded Message <forwarded-message@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:17:18 -0700

Hi Doug,

Let me introduce myself. I am responsible for Domain Name Strategy and
Policies as well as for DN Portfolio management at HP (Hewlett-Packard)

HP has recently joined BC ICANN and provided our input regarding new gTLDs
application rulebook expressing our concerns re inability to acquire
specialized gTLD for HP.

Please consider this email as HP's formal request for an exception to the
2-character new gTLD limit.

We believe that ICANN's proposed rule puts HP in the disadvantaged position
preventing Hewlett Packard from securing .hp while our competitors will be
able to apply for their respective specialized new gTLDs.

We are very well aware of the rationale behind your decision to limit usage
of 2-character domains to the ccTLDs however we strongly believe that there
should be an exception and escalation processes for reviewing cases like
this.

In addition, we would like to ensure that we want to ensure that HP will
also be able to acquire IDNS without 2-character limit.

Best regards,

Natasha Lipkina
HP.com
Domain Naming/Privacy/Policies/Accessibility/ Programs Manager
650-596-0752