ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-guide]

Att.: Rod Beckstrom - New gTLD Programme - Draft Applicants Guidebook - Version 4

  • To: "4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Att.: Rod Beckstrom - New gTLD Programme - Draft Applicants Guidebook - Version 4
  • From: Charlotte Munck <Charlotte.Munck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:58:16 +0200

Comments on the Draft Applicant Guidebook 4 (DAG 4)

We hereby take the opportunity to send our comments on the DAG 4.

We are a global trademark owner, and our main brand is NILFISK, which is
registered worldwide.

Initially, we can inform you that we are totally against the introduction of
new TLDs as long as the current system does not secure effective solutions to
cyber-squatting and trademark infringements. ICANN still seems to ignore that
cyber-squatting and all kinds of fraud on the internet is increasing in number,
having extensive costs with no business value as a consequence.

We note that DAG 4 proposes two rights protections mechanisms which in our
opinion are not sufficient, viz. the Sunrise and Trademark Claims services. The
Sunrise service exists in an identical form and the Trademark Claims service
exists in a form where registrants have to declare that they do not infringe
upon third party rights when registering a domain name. Neither of these
mechanisms, in particular the Trademark Claims service, have proven sufficient
to hinder or even reduce the number of domain names registered in bad faith.
Both mechanisms are pre-launch, and to be post-launch a procedure is needed.

The "matching" taking place in connection with the Trademark Claims service is
limited to exact matches which is clearly insufficient as most cyber-squatting
is not an exact match!

A more thorough examination as to the legitimate rights in the registering of
the TLD is necessary.

DAG 4 provides for a difference as regards the trademarks which are recognized
within the Trademark Claims and Sunrise services. The first service recognizes
registered trademarks while the second service only recognizes trademarks that
are registered in countries conducting a so-called substantive review or
examination. There is no explanation for this difference which means that all
CTMs and most national European trademarks are excluded from the Sunrise
service. This is not acceptable and can cause many infringements.

The Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) proposed in DAG 4 is also much weaker than
the URS proposed in the IRT Report. It doesn't seem to be more rapid or cheaper
than the ordinary UDRP and the domain name is only blocked for a short period
of time with the possibility of perpetuating the cyber-squatting. There is no
loser-pays mechanism which would be essential in a URS of any real value, or
even a fee for filing a response to a complaint, and the burden of proof is on
the trademark owner to prove that the registrant has no legitimate interest in
the domain name. Furthermore, the URS is apparently only available to owners of
trademarks registered in countries conducting a so-called substantive review or
examination meaning that all CTMs and most national European trademarks are
excluded from the URS. Again, not acceptable because it may be impossible to
enforce European trademark rights.

The proposed Globally Protected Marks List is not part of DAG 4 which is very
disappointing as it would have been the rights protection mechanism that could
have provided some relief for trademark owners of such marks.

In our opinion, ICANN has not yet solved the overarching trademark issue. We
urge ICANN to solve the trademark issue before any new gTLDs are released.

Kind regards,

Charlotte Munck
Solveig Hove-Christensen
Global Web Manager
[cid:image003.png@01CB228A.7AF5EE40]
Nilfisk-Advance A/S
Sognevej 25
DK-2605 Brøndby
Phone: +45 43 23 81 00
Direct: +45 43 23 82 07
Mobile: +45 29 29 18 75
solveig.hove-christensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Solveig.hove-christensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.nilfisk-advance.com<http://www.nilfisk-advance.com/>&
www.nilfisk-alto.com

Trademark Manager
[cid:image002.png@01CB2283.456B9650]
Nilfisk-Advance A/S
Sognevej 25
DK-2605 Brøndby
Phone: +45 43 23 81 00
Fax: +45 43 23 81 89
Direct: +45 43 23 81 94
Mobile: +45 40 22 92 32
charlotte.munck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:charlotte.munck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
www.nilfisk.com<http://www.nilfisk.com/> & www.nilfisk-alto.com

This email and any attachments may contain confidential information and is
intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, and you
are requested to please delete this message and any copy of it immediately from
your computer system and kindly notify the sender. Opinions expressed in this
email are those of the individual, and do not necessarily represent those of
Nilfisk-Advance. Whilst Nilfisk-Advance has taken steps to minimise the risk of
software virus contamination, it cannot accept liability for any damage from
any virus software or the like contained in this email. Thank you.

PNG image

PNG image