ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-guide]

eco e.V. comments on DAG4

  • To: 4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: eco e.V. comments on DAG4
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:27:06 +0200

The below comments are made on behalf of eco, the Association of the German
Internet Industry (www.eco.de). eco is the German ISP and Internet Industry
Association with about 500 members from different Internet industry sectors.
The association represents over 200 ISPs and Registrars forming the backbones
of the German Internet.

eco appreciates the opportunity to comment on the 4th version of the Draft
Applicant Guidebook.

1.

Much progress has been achieved with this version of the DAG. However,
prospective applicants suffer from the fact that no definitive and reliable
timeline has been announced yet. Therefore, we urge ICANN to publish a date for
the application window for the first round of applications soon.

2.

Regarding contention sets, we propose that Article 1.1.2.8 is amended so that
the applicants are required to provide all information they can provide without
the involvement of third parties within a reasonable deadline set by ICANN. The
reason for this is that - according to the current wording - the string
contention resolution procedures will not begin until all applicants in the
contention set have completed all aspects of evaluation. The aforementioned
deadline should help prevent applicants of speculative registrations from
delaying the dispute resolution process.

3.

Additionally, we are concerned about the newly introduced regulations in
Article 1.2.1 of Module 1, in which ICANN accredited registrars are basically
excluded from providing registry services.

eco members have made substantial investments to be able to provide such
services. We assume that the exlusion of such actors is an unintended
consequence of the strict interpretation of the Board's resulution as mentioned
in footnote 1 on page 1-17. This restriction should be either reconsidered or
entirely removed.

Anyhow, we encourage ICANN to consider exemptions from the restrictions on
registrar cross-ownership as currently discussed in the Vertical Integration
Working Group, such as SRSU scenarios, small community TLDs and orphan registry
operators. Finally, the proposed 2% threshold for cross-ownership appears
unduly low.

Thank you for considering these comments.

Thomas Rickert, Rechtsanwalt
Head of the eco Names & Numbers Forum

eco - Verband der deutschen Internetwirtschaft e.V. (www.eco.de), Germany