ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-guide]

Comments by HOTEL Top-Level-Domain GmbH on the 4th Draft Applicant Guidebook

  • To: 4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments by HOTEL Top-Level-Domain GmbH on the 4th Draft Applicant Guidebook
  • From: Johannes Lenz-Hawliczek <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:55:51 +0200

Hotel Top-Level-Domain GmbH welcomes the opportunity to comment on version 4 of
the Draft Applicant Guidebook, and we thank the ICANN community and ICANN staff
for having taken the new gTLD process to this stage. We would like to just add
a few comments to the DAG 4.

Time frame

We and numerous others have said this before: Reliability is essential when
planning for the future. Hotel associations, chains and individual hotels
worldwide are looking forward to having their own namespace. We urge ICANN to
commit to a reliable date for the application period of the next round as soon
as possible.

String Contention - Incomplete Applications

We believe that the provisions in paragraph 1.1.2.8 (String Contention)

"(...) if an application is identified as being part of a contention set,
string contention resolution procedures will not begin until all applications
in the contention set have completed all aspects of evaluation, including
dispute resolution, if applicable."

can be used in competing applications (contention sets) to take speculative
advantage by intentionally causing delays with the help of incomplete
applications.

For this reason we propose to add the following sentence:

„Applicants should be given a limited time of max. 4 weeks to provide
incomplete application parts.“

Trademark Protection

We view strong and viable rights protection mechanisms as a central element of
trust in the future .hotel namespace and adress this issue in our policies. We
work in the interest of the global hotel industry and are committed to ensure
that its needs are adequately adressed. We support the proposed instruments for
rights protection which are the result of intense discussions within the ICANN
community. At the same time we also ask ICANN to publish proposals for the
Trademark Clearinghouse process as soon as possible.

Sincerely

Johannes Lenz-Hawliczek
CEO

HOTEL Top-Level-Domain GmbH