ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-procedures]

Comment on the Incitement Clause in

  • To: 4gtld-procedures@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on the Incitement Clause in
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:25:20 -0400

Various comments have been submitted indicating problems with the Morality and
Public Order Objection (section 3.4.3).  As I believe it would either require a
reversal of  GNSO Recommendation 6 or a supermajority decision of the ICANN
Board of Directors to remove this objection from the Application guide, I will
not address the existence of the objection itself in this comment.

On the assumption that a MAPO Objection may remain in the Application guide, I
do want to address the narrowness of the Incitement clause, which currently
states:

"Incitement to or promotion of discrimination based upon race, color, gender,
ethnicity, religion, or national origin; "

It should be rewritten to include, at least, disability, and actual or
perceived sexual orientation or gender identity and should be modified to read:

"Incitement to or promotion of discrimination based upon race, color, gender,
disability, actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity,
ethnicity, religion, or national origin;"

Avri Doria
Individual Comment