ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[5gtld-base]

RESERVED COUNTRY NAMES AT THE SECOND LEVEL IN GTLD REGISTRIES

  • To: 5gtld-base@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RESERVED COUNTRY NAMES AT THE SECOND LEVEL IN GTLD REGISTRIES
  • From: Ksenia Golovina <ksenia.golovina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:46:16 +0900

Dear All
We would like to request confirmation regarding the reservation of country names at the second level. 5. Country and Territory Names. The country and territory names contained in the following internationally recognized lists shall be initially reserved at the second level and at all other levels within the TLD at which the Registry Operator provides for registrations: 5.1. the short form (in English) of all country and territory names contained on the ISO 3166-1 list, as updated from time to time; What is meant by the expression "short form (in English)"? Does this refer exclusively to the English short country names used by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency? There is some confusion because the ISO 3166-1 list also contains two and three-letter country codes. Does the "short form" referred to here in the applicant guidebook also include the two and three-letter codes? We would very much appreciate clarification as to which forms from the ISO 3166-1 need to be reserved at the second level. We would also like to clarify the procedure regarding the release of the country names. In Module 5 it is stated: All new gTLD registry operators are required to provide certain minimum protections for country and territory names, including an initial reservation requirement and establishment of applicable rules and procedures for release of these names. Are these rules and procedures entirely up to the discretion of the registry? Will it be necessary to apply for official approval from ICANN before releasing the names?

Clarification of these issues will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Ksenia Golovina
Operations Department
Brights Consulting Inc.