ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[5gtld-guide]

Minds + Machines comments on Proposed Final Applicant Guidebook

  • To: 5gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Minds + Machines comments on Proposed Final Applicant Guidebook
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 04:30:02 -0500

Minds + Machines appreciates the opportunity to make some brief comments about
the Proposed Final Applicant Guidebook.  Among many other cogent and helpful
comments, the contributions of Jon Nevett, Bret Fausett, one of the submissions
by Eric Brunner Williams, and for detailed comments, the submission of the
Registry Stakeholder Group, make the points that we would like to reinforce.
With a few exceptions, we support these submissions, and would like to
highlight some of their points.

Eric Brunner Williams (http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00064.html),
Bret Fausett (http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00057.html) and the
Registry Stakeholder Group
(http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00029.html) all note the harm that
can be caused by the "continuity instrument" requirement, which ties up
considerable capital as a guarantee against failure.  Several of them provide
alternative solutions that achieve the same result without the harm.  While we
(and they) support protections for registrants in the case of registry failure,
the current proposed financial requirements are burdensome to businesses
attempting to launch a new TLD and are entirely unnecessary.   We support the
idea of a "pool" of money to deal with such cases, and urge ICANN to consider
endorsing cross-registry agreements to take over core registry functions in
case of failure.  For example, Minds + Machines could sign an agreement with
other registries or registry operators whereby one would agree to take over the
other's provision of core registry services in the event of business or
technical failure.

Jon Nevett (http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00063.html) also makes
some excellent points that we support.  He notes that there is no new
information in the economic report.  We agree, and note furthermore that what
information is contained in the economic study does not support its conclusions
due to a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of the authors, who assume
that all Latin-character unrestricted TLDs have the same value and are
interchangeable, and use that fallacy to prophecize about competition to .com.
He correctly notes the multitude of trademark protections put in place after
painful negotiation with intellectual property interests, who eventually were
given free reign to come up with policies they liked through the IRT, and
further refined through the STI.  He notes, as I did in my comments during the
public forum, that even after reaching agreements, intellectual property
interests are backing away from their commitments and asking for further
concessions.  We agree with Jon that enough is enough.

Finally, we strongly urge ICANN to discount the "me-first" pleas for a staged
introduction of "good" or "unproblematic" or "uncontentious" TLDs prior to
other applications, as seen in some otherwise reasonable submissions.  Apart
from the obvious self-interest of such special pleading, we note that it is
impossible to know which applications are "good" or "bad" until the
applications are submitted and evaluated, rendering these suggestions logically
impossible.  Furthermore, the ICANN Board and staff should resist any
temptation to pick "better" applications over "worse" ones.  Previous rounds
have shown that they are not very good at it.

We have made separate comments about the Board decision on Vertical Integration
(http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00030.html) and the most recent
economic study (http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00024.html).

Once again, we appreciate the chance to comment.

Antony Van Couvering
CEO, Minds + Machines