ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[5gtld-guide]

A note that the Board's position on VI is in error

  • To: 5gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A note that the Board's position on VI is in error
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:40:11 -0500

At the Cartegena meeting the Chairman unfortunately remarked that the Board's position on vertical integration was broadly supported.

I don't think that those of us in the VI PDP WG who supported retaining continued restriction on Verisign's ability to offer registrar services for its registries really need to point out that the Board's action was beyond surprising.

However, as the Chair has gratuitously opined to the effect that the Board's decision is correct because it is popular, or because the VI PDP WG disbanded, I'll offer one comment that the Board erred.

Eric Brunner-Williams
in a personal capacity