ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[6gtld-guide]

Network Solutions Comment on the Applicant Guidebook (April 2011)

  • To: <6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Network Solutions Comment on the Applicant Guidebook (April 2011)
  • From: "Hammock, Statton" <shammock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 10:56:08 -0400

Network Solutions appreciates the opportunity to comment on ICANN's sixth - and
hopefully final - New gTLD Applicant Guidebook.  Once again, we commend ICANN
for adroitly managing all of the community input and effort that has gone into
the Applicant Guidebook.  We are especially pleased to see how the community's
comments and concerns, including the comprehensive list of issues identified by
the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC), have largely been assimilated in
this latest version.

We also reassert our view that a document of this complexity and importance can
never be "perfect" or "complete" in the eyes of every stakeholder member.
Fortunately, in our view the Applicant Guidebook's current form substantially
addresses most of the outstanding issues and is robust enough to support the
launch of the new gTLD application process.  Of course, we also expect and
believe that the Applicant Guidebook will evolve over time as ICANN becomes
aware of issues or difficulties arising during the application process and the
launch of the first new gTLDs.

We do have one concern that we believe must be addressed promptly.  The current
Applicant Guidebook makes reference to "GAC consensus" and its ramifications
for a new gTLD application.  We do not see a definition for such "GAC
consensus" in the Guidebook, however, and feel that this term needs to be
explicitly defined.  In fact, we are not confident that the ICANN community's
concept and application of "consensus" matches that of the GAC and that any
misunderstanding on this point will be detrimental to the new gTLD process, to
potential applicants, and ICANN in general.

Sincerely,

Statton Hammock
Senior Director, Law, Policy & Business Affairs
Network Solutions, LLC