ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[6gtld-guide]

Comments on Applicant Guidebook Discussion Draft, April 2011

  • To: 6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Applicant Guidebook Discussion Draft, April 2011
  • From: newgtld@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 15:31:53 +0900

Comments on the Applicant Guidebook (April 2011)

First of all, we would like to express our appreciation for all the hard work
that has resulted in the many valuable changes included in the latest version
of the guidebook. We are also very pleased to note that provisions which take
into account the situation of potential .brand applicants have now been
included in the Registry Code of Conduct.

Use of Geographic Names at the Second and Subsequent Levels
The treatment of geographic names at the second and subsequent levels of the
new TLDs is still one of our main causes for concern. Question 22 of the
current DAG invites the applicant to “describe proposed measures for protection
of geographic names at the second and other levels in the applied-for gTLD”
including “any applicable rules and procedures for reservation and/or release
of such names”. The applicant must show how they will incorporate GAC
principles and it is recommended to refer to the mecha
nisms employed by .info. While the importance of protecting geographic names
under the generic TLDs is understandable, we ask ICANN to recognize the special
nature of potential .brand applicants, and to either relieve them of this
requirement or provide (or grant permission to independently develop and
employ) a universal solution which will allow .brand applicants to release the
reserved geographic names (as well as two-label country codes) for their
exclusive internal use all at once.
A release mechanism by which names that were not claimed by any government
during the allocated period stay reserved and are either registered upon
approval by the relevant government or go into a pool of available names
(whilst still remaining at risk of government objection) would be inappropriate
for .brands. This is because of the very nature of .brand TLDs, where names are
registered for internal use only and the website content is brand-specific
rather than representative of any country. The GAC could
 implement a universal solution whereby a centrally maintained list of
countries and ccTLD operators who have agreed to their country names/country
codes being registered under .brand TLDs (without the need for special
procedures) is made available. As a result, any Registry who wishes to use such
names will simply enter into an agreement with GAC or another relevant body,
rather than having to consult with over 200 different governments individually.
If introducing such a mechanism is not viable, .brand ap
plicants would benefit greatly from being exempt from the requirement to create
reservation and release mechanisms for geographic names.

Alternatively, GAC could provide a list of contact points for the government
representatives associated with each second level string. Moreover, governments
could be obliged to respond to a request from the registry within a set period
of time.

The intention of the new TLDs is to add maximum value to all the Internet
users, and Internet users will definitely benefit greatly from being able to
find and access their preferred brands according to the geographic locations.
However, this may be delayed unnecessarily if the release procedures for
geographic names are overcomplicated.

ICANN has previously stated that both ICANN and GAC recognize that it is
important not to limit the possibilities of certain types of TLD such as .brand
(NEW gTLDs PROPOSED FINAL APPLICANT GUIDEBOOK  PUBLIC COMMENT SUMMARY, February
21, 2011, p.128-129), and we would like to recommend that this is reflected in
the draft in the form of  specific provisions.

GAC Early Warning/GAC Advice
Please clarify the guidelines which the GAC will refer to when making GAC Early
Warnings and GAC Advice. The current explanation does not make it clear as to
what kind of issues would cause a string to be considered questionable or
sensitive and at the moment it seems that almost anything falls into the scope
of GAC decision-making.

.Brand Applicants in General
The Registry Code of Conduct specifically mentions the case in which the
“Registry Operator maintains all registrations in the TLD for its own use and
(ii) Registry Operator does not sell, distribute or otherwise make available to
any unaffiliated third party any registrations in the TLD”. It will greatly
benefit potential .brand applicants if a separate application category were to
be created for such a model, or alternatively, if such a model were to be
identified in the main body of the applicant guide
book.

Requirements for the Length of the Answers
Where there are requirements for numbers of pages per answer (applies to a
number of the 50 questions), please provide details regarding the necessary
font size, page size and spacing between lines, (correspondent with those used
in TAS). Alternatively, please set the length of the answers by number of words
or characters.

Application Process in General
Please once again clarify the application process by providing a diagram with
the updated timelines for each portion of the process. As of now, there are
some places that have confusing information.

Thank you very much for reading and considering our comments.

Brights Consulting Inc.
New gTLD Team

 7F PMO Hatchobori,  3-22-13 Hatchobori,
 Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0032, Japan
 TEL.+81-50-5536-4005  FAX.+81-3-3523-0338
 http://brightsconsulting.com/en/

This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential. If
you are not the named addressee of this message please let us know by reply and
destroy it without reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any
other person.