ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[6gtld-guide]

New gTLD Applicant Guidebook (v6) Comments

  • To: "6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: New gTLD Applicant Guidebook (v6) Comments
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 15:57:08 +0000

Blacknight thanks ICANN and its staff for the opportunity to submit comments on
what is now the 6th version of the Draft Applicant Guidebook for newTLDs.

We have submitted comments on several previous versions of the Guidebook
including:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/4gtld-guide/msg00080.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/3gtld-guide/msg00093.html

We would reiterate our previous comments and those of others, that we would
hope that ICANN would realise that it cannot possibly hope to cater for all
eventualities now. The application guidebook and related processes and
procedures will need to evolve over time.

It is rather worrying that a new TLD applicant may not be considered due to a
restriction imposed by the US government ie. OFAC and this could be seen as a
weakness of ICANN's links to the US.

We are happy to note that many of the areas of concern in previous versions of
the document have been updated both to reflect community input and to provide a
greater level of clarity to prospective applicants.

With respect to the "reserved names list" it would be helpful to understand why
ICANN has not extended this list to include the regional organisations for
ccTLDs eg. CENTR.

Sincerely,

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions