ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[6gtld-guide]

Comments by .HOTEL on the gTLD Applicant Guidebook April 2011 Discussion Draft

  • To: 6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments by .HOTEL on the gTLD Applicant Guidebook April 2011 Discussion Draft
  • From: Johannes Lenz-Hawliczek <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 21:17:14 +0200

Hotel Top-Level-Domain welcomes the opportunity to comment on the gTLD
Applicant Guidebook April 2011 Discussion Draft, and hopes that thanks to the
considerable and constructive efforts which the ICANN community including the
GAC have undertaken over the past 6 months this will be the last few comments
we will have to add.

Module 1 – String Contention

As commented before, we expect that the provisions in paragraph 1.1.2.10
(String Contention)

"(...) if an application is identified as being part of a contention set,
string contention resolution procedures will not begin until all applications
in the contention set have completed all aspects of evaluation, including
dispute resolution, if applicable."

can be used in competing applications (contention sets) to take speculative
advantage of intentionally caused delays by delaying the said completion of all
aspects of evaluation.

We propose to add the following sentence:

Applicants should be given limited time of not more than 4 weeks to submit
missing parts of their applications.

Module 4 - Trademark Protection

Hotel Top-Level-Domain views strong and viable rights protection mechanisms as
a central element of trust and we address this issue in our policies. We work
in the interest of the global hotel industry to ensure that the needs of the
hotel community are adequately addressed in our business concept. We strongly
support the proposed instruments for rights protection but once more ask for
publication of the details for the Trademark Clearinghouse process before the
launch of the program.

Yours faithfully

Johannes Lenz-Hawliczek
Managing Director