ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[6gtld-guide]

Proposed Implementation Plan for Trademark Claims Process

  • To: "6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Proposed Implementation Plan for Trademark Claims Process
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 16:15:56 -0400

We, the undersigned, would like to first thank ICANN for the opportunity to
comment on the latest version of the Applicant Guidebook and believe that the
time has come to move forward in the implementation phase by approving the
Final Guidebook on June 20, 2011 in Singapore.  We believe that ICANN has come
a long way to work out its differences with the Government Advisory Committee
to ensure that adequate protections exist for Intellectual Property owners at
both the top and second-level.  One of the compromises involved the recent
introduction of the concept of making both the Sunrise and Trademark Claims
processes mandatory for all new gTLD Registries.  While we believe that the
Guidebook sufficiently focuses on the criteria for the submission, validation
and management of Trademark Claims by the Trademark Clearinghouse, we also want
to focus on the potential operational impacts that requiring both processes
would have on the interaction between the Trademark Clearinghouse, Registry
Operators, Registrars, Resellers and Registrants.

To that end, we have produced a draft Trademark Claims Notification Process
Flow, in order to assist ICANN with the construction of the RFP for
Clearinghouse Providers and to provide guidance to the new gTLD Registry
applicants on how an implementation of a 60-day Trademark Claims Notification
process could work.  As you will see in the process flow, we recommend a
flexible, yet consistent mechanism for the implementation of the Trademark
Claims Notification process that also preserves options for a multitude of
business models that may emerge with the launch of potentially hundreds of new
gTLDs.  The model makes several assumptions which we would like to see included
in the final version of the Applicant Guidebook; namely,

1.               1.         Trademark Claims Notifications to prospective
registrants for domain names match ing Trademark Claims will commence after the
completion of the Sunrise registration period.  Therefore, during the Sunrise
period, prospective registrants will not be displayed TM Claims notices.
However, at the conclusion of the Sunrise period, TM Claimants in the CH will
receive notice of just-accepted Sunrise registrations; and

2.               2.         “General Registration” shall mean the time period
following the Sunrise Period in which domain names in the TLD are made
generally available to registrants who are otherwise qualified to register
domain names in the TLD.  This can be accomplished through any one of a number
of processes including, but not limited to, first-come first-served, founders
programs, auctions, etc.

We also want to stress that the although we are willing to provide the IP
Claims service for the first 60-days following the commencement of General
Registration (as defined above), the process is fairly labor and resource
intensive and is not one that will be sustainable during the life of the TLD
without significant cost to registries, registrars, and ultimately registrants
and the Internet community.  We agree with both the GAC and the ICANN Board
that “Infringement of rights occurs most often after the end of the sunrise
period (See
http://gac.icann.org/system/files/20110419-GAC_comments_on_NewgTLD_Rights_Protection.pdf)
 and therefore having the Trademark Claims period last for 60-days following
the sunrise period should address most of the infringement that occurs during
the launch period.  Furthermore, we would like to note that nothing will
prohibit the Trademark Clearinghouse (or any other third party) from offering a
service that provides notices  to trademark owners after the Trademark Claims
period to serve as a warning! system to ensure the trademark owner is aware of
the fact that a domain name has been registered that is potentially infringing
his/her rights. In fact, many such services exist today in the marketplace and
will continue to provide these services after the launch of new gTLDs.

However, mandating that new gTLD Registries implement a perpetual Trademark
Claims has the potential of placing the new gTLDs at a competitive disadvantage
to the incumbent TLDs (who do not have to implement that rights protection
mechanism).  If the ICANN community, including all of its stakeholders,
believes that there should be a perpetual IP Claims process required for all
TLDs ( both new and existing), it can decide to launch a bottom-up policy
development process to require its implementation.  This should only be done
after we get some experience dealing with the Trademark Clearinghouse and the
Trademark Claims process so that the community can properly evaluate the yet
untested rights protection mechanism.

Finally, we want to emphasize that we believe that the ICANN Board has come a
long way in providing protections for trademark owners in the new gTLD process.
 Compared to the protections afforded today in the existing gTLDs (or even any
of the ccTLDs), the amount of additional protections proposed at both the top
and second-level are substantial, including:

1.      Legal Rights Objections

2.      Thick Whois

3.      Trademark Clearinghouse

4.      Mandatory Sunrise Process

5.      Mandatory post-launch IP Claims

6.      Incentives for providing a high security TLD

7.      Abuse Points of Contact

8.      Requiring cooperation with law enforcement

9.      Uniform Rapid Suspension

10.  Post Delegation Dispute Resolution Process

11.  Increased due diligence including ferreting out those applications from
serial cybersquatters

12.  Removal of orphan glue records (to inhibit spam)

13.  Centralized method of zone-‐file access

We thank you for the opportunity to present this proposal and would be happy to
discuss this with ICANN staff and the community if so desired.

Respectfully Submitted,

Donuts, Inc.
Encirca
Enom
GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Minds + Machines
Network Solutions, LLC
Neustar, Inc.
Oversee.net
Tucows

Jeffrey J. Neuman
21575 Ridgetop Circle, Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.5772  Mobile: +1.202.549.5079  Fax: +1.703.738.7965 /
jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx>  /
www.neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz/>
Please note new address:  21575 Ridgetop Circle, Sterling VA 20166
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.