ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[affrev-draft-processes]

Discussion Draft-Affirmation Review

  • To: affrev-draft-processes@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Discussion Draft-Affirmation Review
  • From: SS Kshatriy <sskshatriy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:01:55 -0800 (PST)

My comment relates only to: ‘Constitution of Review Teams’.
I differ from the stand taken in the Draft.
In my opinion, there should be more Independent Experts in the team than the
Constituency/Group Representatives.
Here, I will not agree to the nom-com nominees as Independent experts since
they too are represented in many committees and tend to harbor some interests.
-
I am an Independent Internet Expert and somehow got into an ICANN Working Group
(only one independent expert in the group), principally dominated from Interest
Groups—I will say ‘ICANN Insiders’.  An insider tends to protect the interest
of its ‘Constituency’. He/She also have limited external views.

Best thing will be that insiders contribute by information and letting the
Group know impact of a particular recommendation, whereas, Independent Experts
contribute by virtue of their wider experience, knowledge and practices and
above all ‘open mind’. Again, there are good number of Independent Experts so
that there is availability of varied opinions, and their voices are not muffled
by others.
-
2. Equally other important point is not to load the group with too busy and
high profile members, as they have limited time to spare and also influence
decisions by virtue of their positions.

S. S. KSHATRIYA
sskshatriy@xxxxxxxxx