ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[agp-limits-policy]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

AGP Limits Policy

  • To: agp-limits-policy@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: AGP Limits Policy
  • From: Mike <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:01:36 -0400

This is one policy change I really look forward to seeing implemented. I think the proposed limit on refunds is quite acceptable.

I am not a registrar, yet, just a reseller, but I've been dealing with domain registration for 10 years now and have seen the different phases, changes, and problems, and one thing I have really noticed is, after the procedure for dropping expired domains became predictable, domain tasting started coming in and growing fast. The percentage of domains being registered now for the 5 day grace period is way too high. Even worse is the registrars who "taste" domains for longer periods by constantly letting them drop and grabbing them again.

Far too many good domains out there never get the chance to be used for a good purpose because they become nothing but pages of advertising, and the domain tasting is what helps those people decide which ones to use for advertising. Some of the "registrars" out there, even took the time and money to become a registrar almost exclusively to taste domains and keep the ones that get traffic.

The grace period was a nice addition for those legitimate registration errors, but was introduced with too much freedom. Adding limits will definitely reduce the problems.

Mike
--
Website Hosting, Design, and Domain Registration
Reseller Accounts, SSL Certificates, and Referral Program

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>