ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[agp-limits-policy]

Internet Commerce Association Comment on AGP Limits Policy

  • To: "agp-limits-policy@xxxxxxxxx" <agp-limits-policy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Internet Commerce Association Comment on AGP Limits Policy
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:30:38 -0500

BUTERA & ANDREWS
Attorneys at Law
1301 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20004-1701
202-347-6875
Philip S. Corwin, Partner
pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

By E-Mail

November 20, 2008

Board of Directors
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6601

Re: Comment on AGP Limits Policy

Dear Members of the ICANN Board:

This comment letter is submitted by the Internet Commerce Association (ICA) in
regard to ICANN's October 20th notice establishing a thirty day period for
public comments on ICANN's draft implementation plan for the Add Grace Period
(AGP) Limits Policy.

ICA is a not-for-profit trade association representing the direct search
industry. Its membership is composed of domain name registrants that invest in
domain names (DNs) and develop the associated websites, as well as the
companies that serve them. Professional domain name registrants are a major
source of the fees that support registrars, registries, and ICANN itself. The
ICA is an International Member of ICANN's Commercial and Business Constituency
and presently has more than 120 members located in the United States and
thirteen other nations.

ICA Support for Ending Abusive Domain Name Tasting

As noted in your notice, "The intent of the Policy is to limit the behavior
known as domain tasting through modifications to the AGP process."

ICA has consistently supported actions by ICANN and entities affiliated with it
to end abusive domain name tasting and any associated intentional trademark
infringement. Our activities in this regard have included:

 *   Submission of a March 15, 2007 comment letter in support of Public
Interest Registry's (PIR) proposal to impose a "restocking fee" of 5 cents per
name deleted during the .org AGP for registrars deleting more than 90 percent
of their registrations on a monthly basis. The subsequent implementation of
this policy has resulted in approximately an 85 percent decline in .org
deletions during the AGP.

*        Adoption in September 2007 of an ICA Member Code of Conduct that
includes the following provision -- Domain Name Tasting: Members should be
supportive of changes in ICANN policy or self-driven registry initiatives that
end abusive domain name tasting, including such market-based approaches as a
restocking fee.  All activity related to domain name registration should
respect all other areas of the Code of Conduct, most notably including
protection of intellectual property rights.

 *   Submission of a January 28, 2008 comment letter in which we opined upon
the GNSO's  Initial Report on Domain Tasting as follows -- The ICA believes
that abusive domain tasting is an unintended and insupportable misuse of the
add/grace period and should be ended. Because the practice of domain tasting is
an economic phenomenon based upon the fact that thousands of names can be
registered for a short term at no cost we believe that the best means of
curbing abusive tasting is to impose a price that is minimal for a single or
small group of domain names but substantial for thousands of test
registrations. The imposition of a nominal non-refundable registration fee by
ICANN, perhaps enhanced by individual actions by TLD registries, should be
tried and evaluated before taking the more radical step of totally eliminating
the add/grace period.
 *   Submission of a March 26, 2008 comment letter regarding registry policies
on domain tasting. In that letter we supported proposals by Neustar (for .biz)
and Afilias (for .info) to modify the terms of their AGP policies to address
domain tasting. However, we did oppose adoption of a final GNSO motion on this
subject as premature and also stated "we cannot support action by the ICANN
Board to impose a single anti-tasting policy on all gTLD registry operators
that provide for an AGP because such a "one size fits all" policy discourages
registry experimentation and incorrectly presumes that the conditions at each
registry are essentially identical and that a single approach to curb tasting
will have the same effect across all registries."

Now that the GNSO has made a recommendation on domain tasting and the Board has
resolved to implement it through this proposed policy we shall confine our
comments to the efficacy of the proposal to achieve its goal.

The Proposed Policy

This proposal must be addressed in the context of the very effective steps that
have already been taken by ICANN to address domain tasting. The FY 09 budget
adopted by the ICANN Board in June 2008 includes a nonrefundable fee of 20
cents per name for all deleted names that exceed 10% of a registrar's monthly
transactions with a registry, or 50 deletions, whichever is greater. As
announced by ICANN on November 13th --

 "Following implementation of the Board approved budget provision that affects
the "domain tasting fee," names added and subsequently deleted during the
five-day AGP declined from approximately 17.6M in June 2008 to 2.8M in July
2008. Of the 2.8M AGP deletes in July, approximately 2.6M were subject to the
registrar-level transaction fee defined by the provision. Therefore, it is
expected that the quantity of AGP deletes will continue to decline until few or
none are subject to the transaction fee."

Thus, steps already taken by ICANN have reduced excess domain tasting by 84%
and are expected to result in a continuing reduction until few if any
registrars exceed the defined deletion thresholds.

The October 20th proposal seeks to build on this progress by prohibiting
registry operators from refunding registration fees to any registrar when its
monthly deletions exceed the exact same thresholds that already trigger
non-refunding of the ICANN fee. That is, it imposes a further economic sanction
based on precisely the same criteria. A registry could seek exemption from
application of the restriction only upon written demonstration of unforeseeable
and non-recurring "extraordinary circumstances" that caused the excess
deletions. Registry operators would be required to keep copies of all exemption
requests, and to furnish data to ICANN upon request and subject to
confidentiality requirements. ICANN staff will collect and analyze operator
reports and provide summary information to the GNSO every six months during the
first two years following implementation of this policy. ICANN will also
investigate reports of unequal treatment of registrars by registry operators as
well as allegations that operators are abusing the policy's intent. At the end
of the initial two-year implementation period ICANN will advise the GNSO
whether it believes that any modifications of the policy should be considered.

ICA Position

Notwithstanding our stated concerns in March 2008 regarding imposition of a
one-size-fits-all AGP policy on all registries, we stand in general support of
the proposed policy and expect that it will be highly successful in ending
abusive domain tasting. This new policy essentially adds a second economic
penalty to the nonrefundable ICANN fee imposed on excessive monthly deletions
as determined subject to the exact same criteria. As the actions already taken
by ICANN have resulted in an 84 percent decline in excess deletions and are
anticipated to eventually lead to a near-100 percent reduction, this additional
economic penalty will probably assure achievement of that goal. While we would
have preferred to leave some leeway for registry experimentation in light of
the highly effective action already taken by ICANN, we recognize that the Board
has already rejected that option.

Conclusion

Thank you for your consideration of our views in this matter. We are pleased
that ICANN has already taken effective action to curb abusive domain tasting
and any associated intentional trademark infringement, and that it is now
implementing further actions to achieve that goal.

Sincerely,

Philip S. Corwin

Counsel, Internet Commerce Association

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004
202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey