ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

Private domain registration

  • To: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Private domain registration
  • From: "J Delman" <jdelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:08:53 -0400

In my many email communications with whois.com about the private domain
registration option, they worded their responses so as to give the distinct
impression that private domain registration was available **exclusively**
through whois.com. Consequently I paid them $50 for 5 years for the privacy
service, in addition to the 5 years domain registration fee (which I also
could have gotten more cheaply elsewhere had I not thought it necessary to
register through whois.com in order to get the private registration
service). Now I find that private registration IS in fact available through
other registrars, and that dotster.com is offering complete privacy
protection for $2.99 per year:

<http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=93274>

Is anybody listening? I hope ICANN will look into the practices of
whois.com - they seem to me to be out of control.