ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Revised: Comments WHOIS TF3

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Revised: Comments WHOIS TF3
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:06:07 +0200

As agreed on the conference call today, here are slightly revised
comments.  I'll submit these on behalf of ALAC unless I hear
objections by Friday, close of business (European time).

Begin comments:

> ALAC submits the following comments for the task force's
> consideration. The comments are focused on the "best practices"
> section contained in the Preliminary Report.

Add:

The comments are also focused on those recommendations that would
directly affect individual Internet users and, in particular,
registrants.

> Best practice #5:
>
> >ICANN should also consider including the last verified date" and
> >"method of verification" as Whois data elements, as recommended by
> >the Security and Stability Advisory Committee. See Whois
> >Recommendation of the Security and Stability Advisory Committee,
> >available at http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac003.htm.
> >(Whois data must contain a "Last Verified Date" that reflects the
> >last point in time at which the information was known to contain
> >valid data. It must also contain a reference to the data
> >verification process.).
>
> We read the Task Force's recommendation that "ICANN consider" such a
> change as a proposal for a future policy-development process. Before
> such a policy can be adopted, implementability needs to be studied:
> The basic question here is how to encode the "method of
> verification" in a way which scales across language barriers,
> globally.
>
> The appropriate place for ICANN's consideration of this proposal
> would be a future GNSO Task Force.
>

> Best practice #6:
>
> >With input from the relevant contracted parties and other interested
> >stakeholders, ICANN should solicit direct input from each registrar
> >relating to its current level of compliance with existing
> >agreements, and plans to improve the accuracy of Whois data that it
> >collects. The plans will be made publicly available except to the
> >extent that they include proprietary data, and registrars that fail
> >to submit plans by a date certain would be publicly identified. The
> >plans should state specific steps for improving WHOIS data accuracy,
> >including: ...

Delete:

> It is not clear to us what problem these steps are supposed to cure.

Replace:

> It's also unclear what the status of these recommendations is

by:

It's unclear what the status of these recommendations is

> [...]

> be replaced by a diffuse "not all means of communication work
> immediately" standard, with strict time lines for cancellation. This
> change would be detrimental to the stability of domain name
> registrations.
>
> Finally, in cases in which an e-mail address that uses the disputed
> domian name is the only available means of contact, the proposed
> policy would actually shut down the only existing communications
> channel to the registrant.
>

> To summarize, best practice #8 ignores registrants' interests to an
> extent which borders to contempt. It does not pay attention to the
> stability of domain name registrations.  It does not pay attention
> to questions of implementability.  It ignores previous work and
> community consensus.
>
> We respectfully suggest that the Task Force give up this
> recommendation.
>

> Best practice #9:
>
> >Where a domain name registration is cancelled due to the
> >non-functionality of WHOIS data elements - phone, facsimile, and
> >email - the domain name can be reconnected for a fee to be set by
> >the registrar. Upon reconnection of any domain name in
> >circumstances where the domain name had been placed on hold or was
> >immediately cancelled, the Registrar shall verify all data
> >elements before reconnecting the domain name. The Registrar should
> >ensure that the reconnection charge it imposes is sufficient to
> >cover the costs of the heightened verification it must perform in
> >reconnecting a previously cancelled domain.
>
> This proposal seems to be substantially identical to policy I.1.B of
> the DNSO's WHOIS Task Force
> <http://www.icann.org/gnso/whois-tf/report-19feb03.htm#I>; that
> policy has been accepted by Council and Board, but has not been
> implemented, yet.  Adopting another, mostly identical consensus
> policy would appear unwise.
>

> Best practice #10:
>
> >When a domain name registration is cancelled (or suspended, etc.)
> >for false contact data, all other registrations with identical
> >contact data should be cancelled (or suspended, etc.) in like
> >fashion.
>
> This proposal ignores identity theft issues: Contact data that
> perfectly identify the registrant of one domain name can be false
> for another domain name.  Blanket application of this proposal would
> cause damage to registrants who haven't done anything wrong.
>

> Best practice #11:
>
> >ICANN staff should undertake a review of the current registrar
> >contractual terms and determine whether they are adequate or need
> >to be changed in order to encompass improved data accuracy
> >standards and verification practices as a result of the current
> >PDP.
>
> This "best practice" appears to describe an eventual policy
> implementation process.  There is no need to include the demand for
> such a process as a specific Task Force recommendation.

Strike:

> Best practice #12:
>
> >ICANN should develop and implement a graduated scale of sanctions
> >that can be applied against those who are not in compliance with
> >their contractual obligations or otherwise violating the
> >contractual rights under these agreements.
>
> The Task Force report does not make clear what actual problem such a
> sanction system would be supposed to cure, and how it would achieve
> that.  The only data on registrar compliance contained in the report
> relate to the WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System. These data
> suggest that less than one complaint on unsatisfactory resolution
> per thousand data problem reports was received.  (19 complaints on
> unsatisfactory resolution; > 24,000 data problem reports.)

(The registrars can take care of this part themselves.)

> As a way forward, we recommend that Task Force 3 seriously consider
> the minority position submitted by the registrars' constituency.
> This document could provide a basis for improving WHOIS accuracy and
> registrar compliance with their accuracy-related obligations in a
> way which is responsive to registrants' and users' needs.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler  <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At-Large Advisory Committee: http://alac.info/