ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] ALAC participation in new gTLDs

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] ALAC participation in new gTLDs
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:54:06 +0200

Some of the current applicants for new sponsored gTLDs have shown up at our
meetings and have asked us to cooperate with them in their future policy
making process and to support their application. (For example, one of the
applicants offered us seats in their Policy Advisory Board.)

While I think that it would be improper for us to support some of the
applications and not others, I think that - assuming that we can find the
necessary human resources - it would be important for us to participate in
gTLD policy making processes, both as a way to ensure that their policies
reflect the interests of the final users, and as a way to increase the
importance of the Committee and thus attract more At Large Structures. So I
think we should accept this offer, but we should do so in an impartial way,
by giving all applicants an opportunity to do the same.

So I would suggest releasing a brief statement (and sending it by letter to
all new gTLD applicants from this round) like:

"Some of the applicants for new gTLDs have expressed their interest in
having representatives from the ALAC participate in their Policy Advisory
Boards or in their policy making processes. The ALAC thinks that this could
be a good way to ensure that the internal policies of the new TLDs, even if
sponsored and thus targeted to a limited registrant community, will take
into proper account the general interest of all Internet users.

Thus the ALAC would like to invite any applicant sharing this point of view
to enter into discussions with the Committee, so to determine the better way
to incorporate representatives of the Committee in their policy making
processes."

If there is agreement on this, I might even read the statement tomorrow at
the Public Forum.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...