ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] IDN document, draft 3

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] IDN document, draft 3
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:02:48 +0100

This is the third draft of the IDN statement.

Changes (and proponent):
- in points 3 and 6, clarified better than we talk about graphical
equivalence, not semantical equivalence (Hong);
- in points 4 and 5, expanded on the possible alternative of reserving
equivalent names without registering them (myself);
- in point 6, clarified better that we do not envisage cross-TLD priorities
(Esther);
- in point 8, specified that the request applies "especially to gTLDs"
(which does not rule out ccTLDs, but ccs are less global and thus less
controversial), and weakened a little the request on testbed registrations
(not "should not be recognized" but "should be rediscussed") (Hong + Thomas
+ myself);
- in point 9, clarified better that the global i18n work goes beyond DNS and
should involve other entities (Thomas);
- some changes to wording here and there (Erick).

Please check it, I hope I didn't forget anything. As agreed in Cape Town,
this document is out for Committee members review until December 19, then -
if no objections arise - will be put out for public comment until January 15
(I'd extend the comment period a little since it's right over Christmas) and
then we might aim at releasing it by end of January.

(Denise - could you please try to understand what's happening with the IDN
Steering Cmt? I'd like to be on it if possible, and maybe also other ALAC
members.)
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...