ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] US DOC on Internet governance

  • To: John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx>, ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] US DOC on Internet governance
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:35:58 -0700

The ITU would certainly like to characterize this as a policy shift, since it had designs on using the WSIS and WGIG processes for prying responsibility away from ICANN, but I see it as no change at all. What I read in this statement is a strong statement of support for ICANN and a willingness to discuss how to give governments greater control over their ccTLDs. I've had a lengthy exchange on the CPSR governance list about this. See posts yesterday here:

https://ssl.cpsr.org/pipermail/governance/2005-June/002952.html
https://ssl.cpsr.org/pipermail/governance/2005-June/002958.html
https://ssl.cpsr.org/pipermail/governance/2005-June/002964.html

The WSIS-WGIG process was *never* going to change U.S. direction on the management of the DNS. Something good may come out of those processes, but it won't have anything to do with the DNS. If there's fault here, it goes to the gentlemen at the ITU who have been misleading WGIG participants into believing that their efforts were going to change something about the DNS and to the USG for not reiterating its policy position sooner.

Bret