ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] ALAC structure and strategy

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] ALAC structure and strategy
  • From: Annette Muehlberg <Annette.Muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:24:37 +0200

Dear all,
I think we had a productive meeting in Luxemburg and I would like to follow up
on it with several issues.

1. The board discussed the question of possible conflicts of interests. I think
we as ALAC members should give a good example and make a conflict of interest
disclosure.

2. There is a basic rule: never take money from someone who might depend on
your decisions. I know, that ICANN as an organisation works different, but at
least ALAC should do so.
ALAC should not take any money from people who might depend on our decision. It
is the responsibility of ICANN to act in the interest of endusers, so ICANN has
to pay for the ALAC activities ? regardless if the strategic output might get
in conflict with the opinion of members of the board.

3. Talking about money: It is surprising to me, that neither the ALAC team
itself nor the connected staff member has clear information on what the budget
is. The budget should be run/organized by ALAC and not by the staff. The ALAC
has to make a plan on what activities it is planning to achieve. Sometimes it
helps to travel less and instead produce more information material and organize
events.
ALAC needs:
- a strategic plan (consisting of two parts: goal and action, that is,
describing the overall goal of serving endusers interests and the concrete
activities for 1 year)
- financial plan
- budget transparency

4. How to develop a strategic plan for ALAC?
The existing strategic plan of ICANN is only of limited help for that.
And I did not see a paper by the GAC on a public policy strategy, but I will
ask them to be sure about that.

If we see the internet as public good to serve the endusers interests, we
should develop a list of criteria which has to be fulfilled. Then we can test
all the (business) proposals against these values (like: accessability, costs,
chance to identify oneself with a new TLD, easy use etc.). The values defined
should fit in a concept of connecting the world and sharing knowledge.

5. Outreach: Information and Fun ? a toolkit for non-ICANNics
To develop a >toolkit< ALAC could link up with other groups in the area of open
source, creative commons, wikipedia translations.

And it would help to get more regular information by our board liason on what
is on stake ? just little news every two weeks or so.

This for a start, I am still working on answering the gTLD questions...

Longing for your feedback

Regards

Annette