ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] ALAC comments on the ICANN settlement?

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] ALAC comments on the ICANN settlement?
  • From: Izumi AIZU <aizu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:21:54 +0900

Yes, while wondering what exactly the effect of this settlement,
we should definitely try to convey "users voice" on this critical
issue.

izumi

At 10:52 05/10/28 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
Il giorno gio, 27-10-2005 alle 17:43 -0400, John R Levine ha scritto:
> Either way the ALAC owes them some comments reflecting the settlement's
> effect on the at large community.

I agree with your comments.

I would also add my concern with (if I get it well) a sort of lifetime
renewal of the .com award, especially in a political moment where
everyone is discussing how to let the existing governance system evolve.
But apart from that, accountability of contracts derives from the fact
that they can be terminated and it would be better that the clauses that
allow ICANN to terminate the contract (for example, in case of lack of
compliance) are strong enough to protect users. For example, if I were
ICANN, I would have added a clause that allows to renegotiate the
contract if someone else comes up with an offer that costs less than X%
of the current Verisign price per domain.

In any case, we are arranging so that we will get a briefing (similar to
the one Bret points at in his message, I guess) during our next
conference call. After that, could you perhaps please try to work out a
short written comment collecting everyone's opinions? I think this is a
matter where we should submit something in writing.

Thanks