ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Sanctions program?

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Sanctions program?
  • From: "John L" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 31 Oct 2005 10:54:14 -0500

The new .com agreement fails to include a Sanctions Program.

He's right. The current (2001) .COM agreement includes it, and it's gone.

In the conf call with the registrars, Kurt Pritz argued that the unique history of the .COM TLD made it impractical to require some desirable things like rebid. But since I don't ever recall the sanctions program being a point of contention, and VRSN agreed to it four years ago, this looks like giving them yet another gift.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor