ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] ALAC Bylaws Change

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] ALAC Bylaws Change
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:25:44 +0000

Hi, all.

The current procedure to certify ALSes requires a qualified majority of the members of the Committee to vote "yes". For all practical purposes, the way the Bylaws are worded, a non-vote or an abstention counts as if it was a "no".
This has created problems, because we even had the case of an organization that did not pass the certification vote in spite of the fact that nobody voted against.

ALAC has therefore proposed a change in the Bylaws to allow for a better counting system. The Board, in the meeting of yesterday, has approved a resolution allowing the posting of the proposed changes for public comments.

May I recommend to keep an eye on the web site, and to express your opinion on the matter. It would be nice if we could have the Bylaws changes approved by the Board at the Vancouver meeting.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison